May 19, 2015 by tessaraewilliams
This morning as per usual I was eating breakfast and flicking through Instagram. I came across posts about the #selfishswap. In this swap, you’re making your package for yourself! At first I thought it was odd to be making a swap package for yourself, but it stayed in my mind all day. Then it really got me thinking about my crafting situation vs. the situations of others crafters. Then I thought, “Am I an anomaly in this community?”
I have no kids, no pets, and almost no other activities outside of work. I come home from work and sit down at my sewing machine until I feel like getting up. I have a lot of spare time to work on my crafts, and that’s something that many swappers don’t have. Since I began joining swaps in February, I’ve also finished a quilt top for myself, a complete quilt for my boyfriend, and started two bags for myself. My excess of time allows me the opportunity to make both for myself and for others.
Other swappers are moms, or at least pet moms. They don’t have the luxury of time to just craft as much as they’d like to whenever they want. And sometimes they have to feed those kids dinner or something. 😉 When these people do get time to craft, they are gracious enough to give that time to their partners, complete strangers in most cases. The #selfishswap may be the best opportunity for these swappers to really give themselves something great, and that’s just so awesome.
It really made me stop and just appreciate the work every swapper does. I know the next time I receive a swap package, I’ll really be grateful of the time they set aside to make something great just for me. And the next time I send out a package, I’ll really try and put in 110% since I know I have the time to make my package something extra-special.
This week, I’m adding something new to the blog. The biggest issue I’ve found in this community is that it can be hard to find swaps while they’re open and enrolling. So I’ve decided to compile all the open swaps I can find every week, so you’ll have every opportunity to join the perfect swap for you! I’ll need help of course. If you find a new swap that opens up, let me know! I’ll put it on the list in my next post. This is what I have been able to find this week. If I missed any, comment with the Instagram hashtag and I’ll add it to the list!
- #magicalforestmugrugswap – hosted by @sooo_charming. Info and sign-up here.
- #starbucksmugrugswap – hosted by @quiltydream. They’re on round 4!!! Sign-up here.
- #pirateswap – hosted by @beachbabyc. Sign-up here.
- #PusheenCraftSwap – hosted by @aliceodallas. Info and sign-up here. Here’s what Pusheen Cat is, if you’re unfamiliar.
- #sailormooncraftswap – hosted by @yokokudo88. Sign-up here.
- #MuppetCraftSwap – hosted by ME! I’m in need of ONE swapper who is willing to ship internationally. Sign-up here.
- #selfishswap – hosted by @abbythingsforboys. Info and sign-up here.
- #MysteryIncSwap – hosted by @RaeosunshinePets. Info and sign-up here.
- #zippedcaseswap – hosted by @sugarndspice77. Sign-up here.
- #WhedonverseSwap15 – hosted by @lifeofshauna. Open May 24-28. Watch her Instagram for details.
As always, follow me on Instagram @tessaraewilliams. I post here on my blog every Tuesday.
Thanks for reading!