June 23, 2015 by tessaraewilliams
Sorry I’m writing this so late this Tuesday. It’s been a busy week already! I started a new position at work. We turned an infant room into a toddler room at the daycare I work at, so I’m now a toddler teacher! It’s been crazy trying to get everything ready with kiddos running around, but I’m hoping it’ll all be done this week.
Anywho, last weekend was the Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival. Friday I worked the booth for my favorite LQS, Modern Makers. Saturday I had tickets to go (I dragged my boyfriend along with me).
The Modern Makers booth was super cute! I really enjoyed working the booth and talking to people. I don’t often get the chance to talk about fabric to people in real life, so this was a treat!
I basically didn’t leave the booth at all Friday! We were so busy! Our booth was unique compared to most of the other booths, so there was a lot of traffic in the booth!
Saturday I got to look at the show quilts. This one was my favorite, and one of the few that was my style (read: novelties! :p)
This quilt is part of a series of “Tree of Life” quilts by this quilter. She challenged herself in this quilt to make trees using only rectangles. I love the little park featuring fussy cuts from Aneela Hoey and Sarah Jane (my faves!).
This Japanese-inspired quilt was my boyfriend’s favorite of the day (no surprise).
The Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild (my guild) had their own booth. Their booth featured challenge entries on the walls. The challenge was to use the guild’s pattern Fractal Radiance and to use only solids in your choice of color palette using color theory. This is the guild’s fundraising pattern, and comes in pillow and full size quilt patterns.
This one was my entry!I was clueless on the colors I wanted to use, so I just bought a bundle of solids one day and went for it. Turned out kinda analogous, and I ended up really liking it! I’m just glad I didn’t choose green since that seemed to be the most popular color! Haha!
Also featured at the KCRQF were the “Best Of” quilts from QuiltCon! Here’s some of my favorites.
I also picked up some goodies! Really, how could I not?! I knew I’d be spending some money this weekend, and I’m proud of myself for not spending as much as I thought I would!
This was my first quilting convention/festival/outing of any kind, and I really enjoyed it!
PS – does anyone know of any cute beginner patterns for a top I could make with that Cotton and Steel fabric? 🙂
- #C5craftswap – hosted by @elfmunchkin. Sign-up here.
- #ohmyohmyswap – hosted by @happy_noelani_lee. Sign-up here.
- #HBOcraftswap – hosted by @lozzermezzer. Sign-up here.
- #makesomeonehappyswap – hosted by @sooo_charming. Must email her for the form. Find her original post for her email.
- #MermaidCraftSwap – hosted by @nikanne and @heartsndcrafts. Sign-up opens June 25. See their feeds for updates!
- #VeryNerdyHolidaySwap – hosted by @mamabice_makes. Sign-up opens July 31st. Mark your calendars! This’ll fill up fast, I’m sure.
- #birthdayswapcircle – hosted by @uninterestingcroxhet. September, November, and December are the remaining months available, so if you’re birthday is in any of those months, sign up! Find her original post for info.
- #darksideswap – hosted by @kaleysthename. Sign-ups open in July.
As always, let me know if there’s any swaps you’ve seen that I’ve missed on my list! See you next Tuesday!